Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Off to Neverland

Hello there, buddies.

After the crazy success of yesterday's rant, I thought I would treat you to another one! This one definitely won't be as verbally aggressive as that one, but will probably be along the same lines.

I have come to the conclusion recently that growing up really does suck. I am starting to think that Peter Pan was seriously on to something with this whole never growing up thing - it would definitely be easier. Now I don't want to hear how I sound really spoiled by writing something like this, because I am really not. I have seen some people write about this sort of thing all over the internet and have loads of people older than them call them brats and whatnot. I am not like that! This is just my uni student brain being all ranty by saying life was easier as a kid. I am not saying that growing up is shit or anything because I am pretty happy with my grown-up life, but it is fucking difficult!  

So sit back, relax and enjoy my rant.

First of all, you have to pay bills and rent and everything and it fucking sucks, dude. I have to pay rent out of my student loan at the moment, but I still have to pay bills and whatnot. They don't prepare you for this shit in school, do they? No, no they do not! There are so many things that you don't get told about life when you're at school. No one tells you how much money gets spent on bills - it is crazy! 

Then there is the fact that you have to do your own food shopping. If you have never lived on your own you are probably thinking that I am stupid for getting annoyed about that. But I literally have no idea how my parents do food shopping because I never know what I want to buy when I go shopping. In my head I think that I want to eat these sort of things to eat, but then I don't buy the shit I need to make them. Why do I do that?! I never know what to buy anymore. Food shopping is so hard! 

I haaaaaaaaaaate cleaning so much. I really don't like it. Cleaning your own house is so much work and oh my God it makes you tired. Hoovering is so much effort, too. I like to live in a clean house and whatnot, but seriously, when you are on your own you just don't want to clean all the time. I am lucky enough to be able to live with people who aren't majorly messy, thank God! 

The worst part about growing up is that I now need an excuse to watch kids stuff, or do childish things! Like watch the Disney Channel or go to somewhere like Legoland.....Luckily for me I have younger cousins so I am just going to use that as an excuse. But I really do wish that I was younger so I could do these all again without feeling that I am being immature!

Then there is the money situation. This is not something that I will go in to because people just get shitty all the fucking time. But growing up means that you need to seriously manage your money. Gone are the times when I can willy-nilly buy something like a gig ticket, or a new DVD, or a magazine. I now have to think about what I am buying and what things the money could do towards. Which in some ways is really good but it means that I am not treating myself to little things as much as I would like to. I even have to budget for things like going out for a £2 coffee...that is terrible.

A downside about growing up is that all the things you believed in when you were little are all thrown out the window. Things like the Tooth Fairy, Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny are gone - all these things that made being a kid magical. Which sounds really stupid coming from an adult, but being a child was so exciting, there were no responsibilities for anything and the worst thing that could happen was that I would lose a Barbie doll. I miss those times.

Then you have to start thinking about what you want to do with your life, where you want to be in 5 years, and what sort of things you are interested in. This seems like a piece of cake, right? Wrong. I changed my mine 5 times in the space of a year before going to university. I could never decide on what I wanted to do. I have always had a keen interest in crime and stuff (studying it, not committing it!) so I decided on Criminology and Criminal Justice Studies. I am still happy with this decision, but look at me, I am a criminology student writing a blog about completely unrelated things! I keep getting told I should have gone in to journalism, or worked in teaching or something. Bit late to be telling me that, people. 

Also, life becomes ten times more real, which sounds ridiculous. But when you grow up and get past the age of about 17 you have to start thinking realistically about everything. If you haven't got to that point yet then I am very jealous. You have to start making realistic plans for your life, not that you want to be an astronaut and create a new species of dinosaur on the moon...Then everything hits you hard and you realise that life is difficult and that you are never handed anything in life. If you don't work for it then you will never get anywhere in life. I really hate people who think they can just sail through life and get handed everything on a gold plate, because it really doesn't work like that. Life is a bitch.

I have also found that things don't excite you as much as when you were a child. I used to get crazily excited about going on holiday and stuff, but now it doesn't interest me as much. I want to go travelling and things, not sit on a deckchair on a beach. I think I am just becoming really anti-social or something, but I start to dread contact with people that I don't know. I literally have no idea why....I blame the internet. Things like Christmas and birthdays and things really don't excite me anymore either. That makes me sound really sad....The things that I like are things such as going on day trips to museums (I am getting old), or seeing the world and doing challenges and stuff. 

Despite all these downsides of growing up, there are some pretty awesome things, too. It isn't all doom and gloom!

For example, growing up means moving out! Some people may find this daunting, but I moved three hours away from my family home and I love it - it is the best decision I have ever made! I have the experience of living on my own, and I have met the most amazing group of friends I could ever ask for. They are all going to get such an ego boost from this....

You also get more freedom as you grow up, you get to do more things with your life. This is like university, going out, driving, staying out late, going on holiday, everything. It means you can be independent from everything else and organise your life how you want.

Sort of leading on from this, you get offered way more experiences as you get to around my age. I am planning to go travelling after university - something that I could not have done on my own before I got to this age.

Life is very short, and although growing up does suck, there are some awesome things. People need to remember that everyone grows up. Shit will happen and there will be some really shitty times that you will have to go through. But take every opportunity that you can, and be independent! Embrace life!

Well that is me done with sounding crazily old.....

I hope you enjoyed this post! If you did then please click "Join This Site" to subscribe to my posts!

Toodle-oo!  

No comments :

Post a Comment