Monday, July 08, 2013

What's in a name?

Hello there, buddies!

I had originally planned this post for a lot later in the lifespan of my little blog, but due to the recent media shitstorm (to be frank), I think this is the right time to talk about it. 

If you do not know what I am talking about, this will be referring to Katie Hopkins little scrap with the lovely Holly Willoughby on ITV's This Morning. This was all based on the fact that Katie judges a child based on their name, and if she doesn't like the name, or thinks that it belongs to the child of a "working class" family then she forbids her children from playing and interacting with the child.

Katie branded names such as Tyler, Charmaine and Chardonnay as "working class" and that she associated them with not doing homework, always being late, and being badly behaved. She then goes on to say that she dislikes a large variety of names such as geographical names, names related to seasons, and footballer's names. This I find slightly ironic as one of her children is named India.....is this not a geographical location? After being confronted by Phillip Schofield about this, she claimed that India was not a location. Hear that, map makers? You need to take India off the map as it is no longer claimed as a location!! Another one of her children is named Poppy, which could be related to a season, no?

Does she not think that forbidding her children from playing with others is restricting them? I think it might come back to bite her on the ass one day when her children lack specific social skills and become snobs like their mother. Then again this may be something that she wants. Her children are not going to get the opportunity to interact with people of their own age, but of different backgrounds, which may affect them later in life when they enter the working world.

I strongly dislike judgmental people (you shall see this soon when I write another rant surrounding this) and for someone to judge a child of all people really ruffles my feathers. Has she never heard of never judging a book by its cover? I am a strong believer of this, and I cannot stand it when I hear so many people, including my mother, judging a person by small things such as their appearance. There is no way that she can know the background of these children. Besides, they didn't choose their names did they? The fact that she won't even give this child, chosen by her own children, a chance really pisses me off. 

She also then said she dislikes names of children meaning 'beautiful' to which Holly informed her that her own daughter is called "Belle". Katie then essentially backtracked her statement by saying that any child of Holly's would be beautiful. She completely went against what she just said....this also shows she judges people by how they look. Is she an idiot? She isn't exactly model-looking is she? She even admits this herself in the interview! 

Katie claims that children with intelligent names are likely to be more intelligent and have better future prospects. Since when does a name make a child more intelligent? I am sorry, I didn't realise that a name injected wisdom in to a person's brain. In a previous interview, Katie has said that she thinks people with the name Tyronne are more likely to become criminals. Well, frankly I find this quite racist. I know a lovely guy named Tyronne who is NOT a criminal, nor will he ever be. Furthermore, Katie says that she looks for children with good prospects for the future. After a bit of research, I have discovered that her children are quite young. Now I don't know about you, but I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life until about two years ago (I am approaching 20 years old now), so how can a say 10 year old have good future prospects?! This I just find absurd. 

I take my hat off to Anna-May Mangan who was opposing Katie in the debate. She really stood her ground, and I have to say I agree with her. She labelled Katie as an "insufferable snob" and claimed that her argument was "snort worthy". Anna-May then went on to say that judging a child by their name is old fashioned and unkind. This lead Katie to retaliate with something that clearly offended Holly as the women began to have a debate among themselves leading Phillip to have to tell them all to be quiet. 

I literally cannot comprehend why Katie would hold her children back so much! A child should be free to both make their own mistakes in life and also to befriend who they so wish. If you don't make mistakes, how can you be expected to learn, and to become a better person? I shall have you know, I befriended someone with what Katie would call an "acceptable name" who turned out to be everything she has named as someone who would have a lower class name. So what do you say to that, Katie? A name does not define a person whatsoever, and anyone can be a hateful, snobby and spiteful bitch. 

I do not think Katie is in any place to judge someone based on their class after having been on several reality TV shows....and being caught having sex in a field with a married man, do you? She is clearly a classy lady, Mrs Snobby-Pants. 

Branching off from this slightly to something which has royally pissed me off. Katie has claimed that people with tattoos will never be high achievers. I am a proudly tattooed person, and I am currently studying at university doing Bsc (Hons) Criminology and Criminal Justice Studies. Now then, Katie, would you say that I am not achieving high? My tattoos have never held me back from anything at all, and have in fact had the opposing effect with employers actually welcoming this as it shows diversity and individuality. I think you might find that many people in a much higher status than Katie are tattooed also. I have often wondered to myself if Katie has seen the image of a tattooed doctor? (Below). 

Looking at the first picture you would have no idea that this guy had tattoos, yet I guarantee if anyone saw him looking like he does in the second picture that they would brand him as a "thug". This man is a high status surgeon I believe. Katie, would you class him as an underachiever? I wouldn't - this guy saves lives on a daily basis. I would say that is an amazing achievement, would you not?


I am going to end this here for now, it may be continued at a later date. 

I have to say, before these things I actually had a small amount of respect for Katie as I admire the fact that she is proud to speak her mind. However, this respect has completely diminished as I have realised how judgmental and narrow-minded she is.

Toodle-oo, peeps!

No comments :

Post a Comment