Sunday, June 30, 2013

I hate "text talk"

Hello there, buddies!

Ok, I am now going to sound extremely old and bitter so please refrain your judgement until after you have finished reading. Of if you can't be bothered to read, then hi!

Today I want to talk about "text talk".

Now I don't know about you, but I HATE it. I mean seriously hate it. I am not sure if this is because I simply just do not understand it, or whether it is because I am just not "cool" enough to use it. Despite this, I have an utterly strong dislike for it.

I have now come to the conclusion that I dislike it so much as I have a real sort of OCD obsession with perfect grammar. It really riles me if someone's grammar isn't right. The main example being people not using the correct form of "your". Gah, it is annoying me just talking about it. Rambled off topic there....

This generation seems to have developed a new form of language simply referred to as "slang" or "text talk". This is probably due to the increasing amount of social media sites that they are being exposed to. Now I don't know about you, but I do like my fair share of social media, but I don't feel like I need to talk like an idiot.

Now I apologise in advance if you do talk like this, but this is literally just me letting off steam. I will not dislike you if you write like this, unless you do it to piss me off....then there might be trouble!

There have now been numerous occasions where I have had to resort to my trusty Google (thank you for inventing this), or asking my sister when someone has abbreviated a word and I have been sat there like "whaaaaaat?!". Please tell me if you do this so that I don't feel like such a loner.

For exmaple, here are a few abbreviations that I have had to look up:

  • SMH
  • IMO
  • HMU
  • NVM

They are just a few. And I shit you not, I had to google them when someone said them to me. I might just be really out the loop or something, but I had no idea.

There were just simple ones when I was younger. Anyone around my age will probably have experienced an AOL chat room. If you haven't then you had no childhood. The only abbreviations there were ASL, BRB and GTG. That is literally all I ever used.

Now I am guilty of using some abbreviations sometimes. This usually occurs when I am being ironic or sarcastic, or if I am too drunk to write out the whole thing. I can use like FTW, TBH, LOL etc. But everyone probably does this at some point. I mean, I am sure I will tag this post using "lol" as so many people use it these days.

But what I don't get is when people are full on chatting away (we are talking in person here) and then they just chuck in a "lol" or something like that. Now that ruffles my feathers, ladies and gentlemen. It's just like they can't be bothered to laugh! What on earth is wrong with people?!

Now there is one abbreviation which I have had a long term problem with. That abbreviation is YOLO. I do not understand this, and the incorrect usage of it. What I would call "YOLO" is someone like a soldier, a firefighter that sort of thing, where they risk their lives on a daily basis. What I would not call "YOLO" is having two drinks on a Tuesday night......Gah. 

I just don't understand, I really don't.

Now, if you have any ruffled feathers because of so called "text talk" then feel free to rant in the comments and I will join you.

Don't forget the usual subscribe and follow on the left and right hand side!

Toodle-oo!

No comments :

Post a Comment